Sunday, January 25, 2009

bobs red mill chocolate chip cookies

I tried to bake some cookies today. I just wanted some warm chocolate chip cookies, something I could make quickly and easily. Its really cold out here, -35 earlier today, and I wanted something to warm me up.

I had a bag of Bob's Red Mill Chocolate Chip Cookie mix in my GF cupboard. It looked easy enough, just add a few ingredients, so I decided to make them.

There are certain Bob's Red Mill products that I love. The raisin bread for example. So I had high expectations for this product!

The mix is really dry and looks crumbly in the bowl (and the package says that's normal), but you just press it together and it easily forms cookies. There was a decent amount of chocolate chips in each cookie, so I was hopeful they would turn out.

I put them in the oven, and there was no pleasing chocolate chip cookie smell. It smelled ok, but not fabulous. There was a weird smell in the air, that I couldn't quite place. I looked at the ingredients and guessed it came from the bean flour.

I tried the cookies straight out of the oven, and they didn't really taste like much. Kinda weird, but not that bad. They were soft, warm, but not that much flavour.

Once they had cooled a bit, I tried another one. At first bite, they were ok. Crisp on the outside, soft on the inside. No overwhelming cookie flavour though, kinda bland, with a weird undertone that I attributed to the bean flour.

But they had a HORRIBLE aftertaste. Like really bad. Bad enough that after feeding one to my dad (who eats almost anything and usually eats all gf things claiming he can't really taste a difference), we threw the rest out. They were terrible.

I'd heard good things about them, so maybe I got a bad batch? Has anyone else tried these?

1 comment:

vervalred said...

I just tried some, and I similarly am feeling kind of grossed out. I get a kind of metallic taste or something. At first I thought it was just the cookie dough, but I think it's just the cookie mix. Does Bob's do refunds?